This is from the “Preparations for the final confrontation” thread from the Thunderspire

January 12, 2011 23:02

The heroes regroup at the Halfmoon Inn in the Seven-Pillared Hall. They celebrate the day’s victory and plan their final assault on Paldemar’s stronghold. Rendil brings them another round of ale. While you put down the last round, one of Dreskin’s runners approaches you.

“As promised, payment for finding Dreskin’s boar.” He throws a bag full of 100gp onto the table. He thanks the group and walks off.

“So,” Rendil interjects jokingly, “You guys might be able to start paying for the ale at least then, right?”

There is still so much to do, so much to prepare…

A map of Seven-Pillared Hall.

January 14, 2011 08:09

“Rendil, if my vision is correct and we encounter Vecna, the Raven Queen will bless you with more than any amount of gold could ever provide you. In fact, I was thinking about heading over to the Temple to see if Phaledra would allow me to pray to The Raven Queen for more guidance. If we are to face Vecna I fear that one of us may not return and any help that The Raven Queen can provide would surely help our quest.

January 14, 2011 09:30

Rendil smiles warmly at Viggo. “I don’t know much about the gods, friend, but that may be a good idea. I think your barbarian and dragonborn friend here would rather sharpen their buzz than their wit or their sword! Go on, I’ll make sure they’re seen to while you meditate.”

He waves to the bar wench for another round then turns to Enforceronimus and Nithhogr.

“Adventurers, surely you have tales of adventures to share!”

Viggo leaves the Halfmoon Inn and visits the temple. Phaleadra welcomes you. While this is not a temple to the Raven Queen, she has heard of your deeds and is honored to allow you to pray and meditate on the coming battle. Viggo kneels before the altar and reaches out to the Raven Queen with his heart and mind.

Religion check, Carey

January 14, 2011 15:50

20 + 7 = 27

January 14, 2011 15:53

Nithhogr slams his stein on the table and shouts “Lo, this is Ale of A Ginger Brew, I do not inhibit this mind or body for anything!”

January 14, 2011 16:04

After a stern look and fists clenched Nithhogr lends a small smile and laughs haughtily. “Stories? Yes I have many stories of battles, adventures and conquests a like.” He leans over to whisper in Rendil’s ear a few lines, pulls back and roars with laughter " and I was like… do you love me? and she said NO!!, but thats a real nice Fang tooth helm!!"

January 14, 2011 22:27

Another drink wench. I fight hearty and feast more! If we are to perish in the future i wish nothing more then to spend these moments in good drink and food with my warrior brothers. I only hope in death I learn of my beginning. And if we survive questions of my past must be answered!


January 15, 2011 01:07

As Viggo rests in genuflection before his makeshift altar, the Raven Queen calls back to him. Through his closed eyelids he senses her presence. He opens his eyes and finds himself in another place. He stood up and looked around. He had not seen this place before, but he sensed it was the Shadowfell.

“This is my sanctuary, paladin.” she called out. “It is time to reveal why I helped you.”

Viggo turned to find her, a vision of morbid beauty. Her pale, white skin gave her the appearance of a porcelain doll. Her eyes black pits of serenity and nothingness. The only description Viggo could muster of their beauty was the peacefulness of death. She wore a black cloak, made of thousands of ancient raven’s feathers.

“My queen.” Viggo kneeled before her.

“Stop, Viggo,” she told him. “I am not a vain god. You are my equal here. Please, stand.”

Viggo stands up.

“The reason I intervened when Kalarel took you as his slave was because I knew that you would eventually find your way to the Thunderspire and discover Paldemar’s connection to Vecna. We have little time now, as Orcus marches his unholy army here to assault my sanctuary in retaliation for my meddling.”

Viggo places his hand on the pommel of his sword.

“Do not worry, Orcus alone cannot kill me. He, however, is conspiring with that bastard Vecna to upset the balance of both our realms. They wish to bring the two together and bring about their own twisted vision of undeath and demonic turmoil. This cannot happen. The implications are too dire. For all of us.” She turns to look out the window as thousands of demons march over the horizon. She turns back to Viggo. “This is where you and your friends come into play. I need you to stop Paldemar, this will leave Vecna’s plan in shambles, and weaken him momentarily. If only long enough to buy myself some time to defeat Orcus. Can I count on you?”

Viggo nods.

“Good, then return to your friends, and tell them what I have told you. Plan your assault carefully. The Tower of Mysteries will be the trying experience of your group, a moment you will look back upon as the worst of your life…” she trails off and turns away again. “If you survive.”

A flash of light, then darkness. Viggo opened his eyes, back in the temple. He gathered his things, then hurried back to the Halfmoon Inn. There was still much to do.

January 19, 2011 04:20

Viggo my undead friend. You seem worried or shaken? Has something happened?

January 19, 2011 16:14

Nithhogr interjects, it feels like we have been sitting in this place for days without anything going on

January 19, 2011 19:05

Nithogr. We have hardly been here at all. Perhaps you need to lay off the mead my friend.

January 19, 2011 22:09

Everyone sit down. I have some news. Viggo begins to tell his visions to the group and explains how they may all help him and his goddess fulfill his purpose in being brought back from death. (read above for back story)

January 20, 2011 22:50

The heroes listen to Viggo’s story. A sense of immediacy washes over them. The stakes were never higher, the odds never stacked so far against them. Viggo pulls the stack of letters found on Mauldrick’s body and places them on the table. (Perhaps the Mages can provide some insight)

BTW, If you have any preparations you want to make (new gear, ammunition, potions) you should do it now. I want you to be ready, no fucking around next Saturday. Straight into the shit!

January 21, 2011 01:17

I’m tired of waiting, let us visit the mages and tell them of our plans, Viggo lead us to this place you have seen in your vision, my ears have gone too long without hearing the sounds of cracking bones and the last breathes of my enemies

January 21, 2011 16:45

enforceronimous turns to the bar wench, “may you please guide this poor barbarian with sweet ass bestial armor to a place where i can obtain some potions of healing? i feel i may need them in the near future!”

January 21, 2011 19:45

Ariana the bar wench pauses for a moment, then replies to Enforceronimus. “Gendar at Gendar’s Curios and Relics definitely keeps potions. Oh, and perhaps that odd travelling gnome and his half-orc bodyguard might have some?”

The heroes regroup and approach the Customhouse, where the heroes had previously met Orontor, one of the Mages of Saruun. This building serves as the headquarters for the enforcers
employed by the Mages of Saruun to keep order in the Seven-Pillared Hall. Brugg, an ogre, leads the enforcers. He stands guard at the door with two other intimidating ogres.

“What you want?” Brugg bellows. The two ogres stand eerily still, hands on the grips of their spike-ridden clubs. A knock on the door. One of the ogres opens it and a low whisper comes from the door. The ogre quietly relays the message to Brugg. “Oh, you Heroes of Winterhaven. Finding Paldemar. Orontor want you come inside. Brugg don’t like strangers. Dangerous.”

Brugg hasn’t met you before so his suspicion is understandable. But why do the mages have the extra security?

You enter the Customhouse, making way through the barracks. The stench of ogres pierces your nostrils, almost wetting your eyes. Brugg speaks to you as he walks.

“Mages worried about magic they see. Dark magic. Think dark magic kill Paldemar. Brugg say not worry, Saruun Enforcers keep peace.”

He takes you down the hall and to Orontor’s office.

“Orontor waits, enter.” He watches as you enter the room and stands outside, as if ordered to. Orontor is hastily translating an old tome as you enter. His demeanor is anxious and concerned.
After a moment he notices your presence.

“Ah, the Heroes of Winterhaven! Please tell me, do you have word on my colleague?”

January 21, 2011 22:29

Enforceronimous grumbles to himself.. wondering when he’ll be able to purchase potions of healing and potentially fuck the bar maid if they keep getting dragged into rooms full of wizards and orcs.

January 24, 2011 17:02

Viggo takes a look around the room before saying anything to see if he notices what tome Orontor is reading.

Perception: 1d20+5 = 18
January 24, 2011 17:07

Orontor, We do have news, it seems your colleague is plotting against you. We found these letters speaking of an alliance with Mauldrick.

January 25, 2011 05:37

Viggo, the text he reads from is ancient. It is banged up quiet a bit. The pages have tanned from their age as the parchment slowly decays. Wrinkles and water damage creep up from a corner of the book. The ink has faded to a muted sanguine from what you can only guess was once black. It has faded so much, in fact, it look almost like dried blood. Whatever it is, it may be important.

Orontor looks to Enforceronimus, puzzled. “Mauldrick Scarmaker?!?” he let’s loose with a surprise crack in his voice. “The gnoll? Please, let me see those.”

He asks for the letters and the group gives them to him. He leafs through them, scanning the text very quickly. He looks back to the group.

“This is worse than I thought.”

He places his reading glasses on the desk and stands up, pacing back and forth behind his desk.

“We feared someone had infiltrated the Tower of Mysteries. Who knew it was one of of own.” He pauses, reluctant to admit the truth, if only to himself. “The Tower of Mysteries, as you might already know, is an unholy place. A place where Vecna hoarded his knowledge. No one has ever been seen entering or leaving, and or own scholars have not been able to gain entrance. How did Paldemar do it?”

He thinks for a moment.

“Ah, he must have appeased the apparition of Vecna by offering up knowledge. Surely a group of well-travelled adventurers like yourselves have some mysteries you can offer to Vecna to gain access. We have tried, but he is uninterested in magic, our field of study. He says he knows everything, the pompous bastard!”

He waves to Brugg. Brugg enters.

“Yessir,” Brug reports.

“Brugg, ready your men. Paldemar is behind all this. You will accompany the adventurers into the Tower of Mysteries, should they gain access.

“Brugg ready men!” he yelled as he turned and hastily left the room.

“Thank you for your help. You will need to stock up for the battle. Take this 500gp, that should be enough for a potion or two for your entire group.”

(1200 xp will be distributed among the party – that’s 200 per person)

“Before you go, is there anything else?”

January 25, 2011 07:20

Viggo grabs the sack of gold and says thank you on behalf of the group. He looks to Orontor and says, “Your tome intrigues me, may I have a closer look at it? I am trained in the ways of our gods and perhaps this tome may aid us in destroying Vecna’s foul plans.”
January 25, 2011 07:33

Aukag interjects, “Perhaps he would be interested in the ways of the spirit or the secrets of nature.”

January 25, 2011 07:47

Orontor glances at the book and back to Viggo. "It is a tome written long ago. In it are blood rites and other forbidden magics. We hoped to identify the dark magics swirling around us with it. It was written by the minotaurs who inhabited this place before us. I would not bother you with such things as you must steel your mind for what approaches. I will continue searching for something we may have missed.

Carey, roll a D20

Orontor turns to Aukag.

“Ah, that is a great suggestion shaman.” He responds. “I’m sure you have inexhaustible wells of information at your disposal. Keep your mind fresh, and you will surely pass his test.”

January 25, 2011 14:01

It seems that the apparition can be swayed by stories, My training in History and Diplomacy will aide us in this challenge. Who among us is a great story teller? perhaps bluffing a great story can be beneficial as well.

January 25, 2011 23:46

D20 = 4


January 26, 2011 01:27

Cody watches Carey roll his d20 and before it stops rolling on a 4 he lets out a massive fart and causes it to continue rolling until it stops on 17

January 26, 2011 05:17

Orontor scratches at his beard. “Yes Nithoggr, your training could come into great use here.”

While the wizard and dragonborn continue their exchange, Viggo has a quick flash of memory, something he noticed before that might help Orontor. Unfortunately a shiny object in the corner caught his eye and drew his mind away. He passed the fleeting thought as if it were bad gas.

January 26, 2011 17:56

Enforceronimous wishes to go back to the bar one more time before leaving. A belly full of grog is quite wonderfull for battle!

January 26, 2011 21:29

Enforceronimus looks in his backpack to see that he has somehow been given several health potions, and that the appropriate amount of gold has been taken out of his money pouch. What sorcery is this?

You all return to the Halfmoon Inn to rest before the final confrontation.

January 27, 2011 16:12

Enfoceronimous is very happy about the health potions counting them and seeing three and knowing he shall now be able to whoop much greater amounts of ass. speaking of ass.. wheres that bar maid..

excuse me maid, may a battle wearied barbarian purchase a drink for you? its not everyday a hero sees someone so vuluptuous!

January 27, 2011 16:15

Roll charisma

January 27, 2011 16:28

I rolled a 17! i dont have my character sheet with me at work but damn i think imma get some halfling head with that roll!

January 27, 2011 16:43

i have an 8 for charisma on my sheet.. so thats 25

January 27, 2011 19:47

Remember Jake, now that you have DnD insider you can always reference that easily in the CB. You can also make a character sheet on here but you have to manually input every stat.

The bar maid blushes.

“Of course you can buy me a drink, my shift is over in a half-hour if you’d like to wait.”

A half hour later, she sits with you at the bar.

“So how bout that drink?”

January 27, 2011 21:13

Enforceronimous calls over the new bar maid. Please fill my glass and one for the lady whatever she cares to drink.

Looks at her. So maid what be thy name? all other information is unessacary for i may be meeting my doom in the coming days. I travel with the heros of winterhaven no doubt you’ve heard of us.

Finishes his drink in one swig making sure to flex his sweet bicep where she can see it.

January 27, 2011 22:27

She looks at Enforceronimus with a coy mannerism about her.

“My name’s Anine Halfmoon.” and she turns to the new bar maid, her cousin Alaina. “You know what I like.”

She then turns back to Enforceronimus.

“You know, you don’t have to try so hard.”

The two of you talk for a few hours, where you tell her aggrandized adventure tales. Aukag acts as your wingman but also throws a couple jokes your way. Before you know it, you and the barmaid are pretty drunk. You start to feel a little dizzy, this Thunderspire ale is a bit stronger than you are used to!

Roll endurance!

January 27, 2011 22:54

Nithhogr walks by, raises his glass and winks at them, he leans in to whisper into Enforceronimous’ ear… dude, make sure you go ass to mouth…

January 28, 2011 00:15

As Anine and Enforceronimus get more and more drunk, the group continues to ready themselves for the trials ahead. On the table, a copy of the Vale Times Courier, Issue 1 lay open on the table. A headline catches Viggo’s eye. Winterhaven Attacked?

Nithhogr, as you talk to Enforceronimus Viggo stands up and yells, having seen the article. The entire bar goes silent as you gently whisper, “ass to mouth” into Enforceronimus’s ear.

An aura of social awkwardness falls around the two of you. -2 to skill checks until the end of the night! (This does not count the endurance roll Jake has yet to make)

January 28, 2011 01:24


January 28, 2011 04:31

I’m on my phone and i rolled a 19! Obviously I can’t load the character builder for my bonus. But a 19 should get me some pussy

" enforceronimous let’s out a large belch and whispers in the bar maids ear ‘would touching to take this upstairs to the room for yet another adventure’"

January 28, 2011 04:32

(by the way he’s drunk, hence the weird sentence)

January 28, 2011 04:44

19 + 10 = 29 SUCCESS!

You successfully stay conscious. You are determined to get yourself some strange.

You try your wiles on her with that drunken proposal…

and SUCCEED! She agrees to take you to her room.

Enforceronimus will now be unavailable until the next morning.

Roll a Strength, Endurance and Acrobatics check, Jake.

January 28, 2011 06:00

Oh shit! Again on my phone so Bo character sheet

12 strength
20!!! Endurance (going all night!)
7 acrobatics

January 28, 2011 06:24

The heroes attempt to continue drawing their plans, making battle maps using coin and other loose items they find around the bar. But they are interrupted by what could only be described as an earthquake. One that doesn’t seem to be ending any time soon.

Enforceronimus, while the adventurers try to hide their annoyance you continue your conquest. Anine attempts to show you a revolutionary new move she had heard of but it requires too much agility and you fall flat on your face, knocking yourself out. But don’t worry, you finished all over the floor. The floor which you are now rolling all around in the dead of sleep.

As you fade in and out of consciousness, you see her put her clothes back on and leave without a word.

January 28, 2011 17:45

Enforceronimous arises slowly in the morning. Feeling revitalized despite his pounding headache. He heads into the wash room of the bar and removes dirt and some sort of sticky substance from his body, he wonders if theres a back door to sneak out knowing he smushed but not knowing how attractive she was. he reminds himself this is why he stopped drinking after the time in the woods with that dark elf and the mead of mushroom. another story for another day.

he wonders if his friends had as glorious a night as he. he vaguely remembers nithogr saying something about putting dragon born mouth on someones ass….

January 28, 2011 18:01

When you are relieving yourself, you notice that urination is quite difficult…

January 28, 2011 18:11

no didnt happen. enforceronimous always wraps up!

January 28, 2011 18:12

There were no condoms in your inventory, therefore you didn’t wrap up.

January 28, 2011 18:23

Scared for a moment, enforcreonimous notices a large clod of dirt from the floor in the tip of his dick.. he removes it laughing and wizzes all over the bathroom.

January 28, 2011 18:25

fuck i hope the traveling merchant has some amoxacillin or something.

January 28, 2011 19:34

Viggo says, “I could lay my hands on that.”

January 28, 2011 19:44

Viggo, quell your tendencies. We have far too many lonely nights ahead. We can’t be spending energy worrying about who you’ll be ‘laying hands’ on.

January 28, 2011 19:53

enforceronimous looks at viggo perplexed.. then turns his head and coughs… if someone were perceptive enough he may have heard ahem ahem fag ahem ahem…. but the undead man is clearly more concerned with other things.

he then wonders to himself if the lord of winterhaven cast him out for a far deeper reason then his new undead form.

January 28, 2011 19:54

Aukag offers to heal you barbarian

January 28, 2011 20:03

Enforceronimous is proud that his companions are so happy to lay hands on dick and is now worried about who he has trouped up with since his goal has been to drink beer slay orcs and slay pussy as well and now realizes he may not have any wingmen.

aukag lets see if this clears up on its own before we go doing anything we may regret at a later
January 28, 2011 20:10

Nithhogr reminds his clansman that he has 7 dicks remaining of his 8 that can be loaned out incase of illness or removal. ie Aukag has one

January 28, 2011 20:21

Enforceronimous looks at canicus and wonders if the elf is as perplexed by his companions as him…

“am i still drunk? did that bar maid spike my beer with some pheromone that only men heros are attracted to?”

Canicus if these fags touch us we may need to flee to a safer spot.. be ready to move my friend

January 28, 2011 20:23

I am always ready to move, especially to avoid a multiple-dick attack.

January 28, 2011 21:17

As you will friend, but don’t complain to me or the bear when ur dick rots off like a ghoul’s face.

January 28, 2011 22:14


January 29, 2011 06:18

He offered to heal you not touch your dick. Methinks you’re projecting a bit too much. Also, I’m the DM I tell you what you find in your dick. And it wasn’t dirt, it was a clump of dried halfling shit!

Rendil Halfmoon approaches Enforceronimus.

“You slept with Anine, didn’t you? I should have warned you, she’s a bit of a…” he pauses. “well, you know. You need to go see a healer immediately. There is one at the marketplace. Goes by the name Samair, an elf cleric of Sehanine. Funny, that I should send you to him, as Anine is named after Sehanine.”

He laughs for a moment then his lighthearted demeanor drops completely and his face goes blank.

“But seriously, see him immediately.”

January 29, 2011 06:32

Enforceronimous thanks the man for his advice and seeks out the healer spoken of. Also making note in his barbarian brain that perhaps this type of adventure is better left unexplored. Thankful for the fantastic evening he holds no spite for the barmaids as he grumbles off in the direction of the healer..

January 29, 2011 06:40

Samair laughs under his breath as he gives you the medicine for your condition.

“Rendil told me you’d be coming. No charge, Rendil’s a good friend. Make sure you take that any time it flares up for a couple days, then it should pass. Tell Rendil that’s now TWENTY FOUR favors he owes me.”

You can only imagine what he means by that…

January 29, 2011 15:14

dried halfling shit? HAHAHAHAHA

January 29, 2011 17:40

Relieved enforceronimous takes the pill.. feeling his stomach churn for a bit. it reminds him of the time he lost his virginity to a harlot in the sunfire sky of woods.

January 29, 2011 19:15

Sorry friends I feel like ive been cooped up in this inn hoveled over my spellbook for days in preparation for these impending days.. Also does anyone smell a faint odor around Enforceronimous..?

January 29, 2011 20:19

Its dat stank

January 30, 2011 18:11

This thread is closed.


The Heroes of Nentir Vale travisfrenchpa